For this week theme on BM I'm presenting " South Indian Meal Dishes-Karnataka Cuisine". Enjoy the dishes & don't miss the update. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 42.
Chutney Podi/ Chutney Powder is a karnataka style spice powder, which perfectly goes with breakfast dishes & rice. This powder is packed with flavors from dal's, tamarind, red chili's, coconut & also sweetness from jaggery.
I followed a online recipe while making it, but changed the measurements & few ingredients as needed. One of those ingredient is red chili's. The recipe was asking for both Guntur & Byadagi chili's. I replaced them with mexican red chili's, which I have in hand.
This is my first time making this powder & it was heavenly good. The coarse grinding left this powder with crunchiness in every bite.
Give this powder a try...
Adapted from-Big Apple Curry
Prep Time-5mins | Cook Time-15mins | Serves-4people
1/4Cup urad dal
1/4Cup chana dal
2Tbs toor dal
1/4Cup grated dry coconut
1/4Cup curry leaves
1Tbs grated jaggery
1Tsp size ball of tamarind
1/2Tsp + 1/2Tsp oil
Salt to taste
- Heat pan with 1/2tsp oil. To that add urad dal & fry it till
- Keep stirring the dal. Fry till it changes to light brown color. Remove on to a plate.
- Repeat the same with chana dal & toor dal too.
- Now to same pan add grated coconut & fry it for few seconds or till they are little crisp. Remove it on to a plate.
- Add 1/2tsp oil to pan. To that add red chili's, tamarind & curry leaves.
- Fry them till curry leaves are crisp & red chili's are puffed up. Switch off heat & remove them on to a plate.
- Allow all the fried ingredients to cool down before grinding.
- Now grind all the fried ingredients along with jaggery & salt.
- Grind it to coarse powder. Adjust salt if needed.
***Serve this powder with a dollop of ghee. Goes well with rice, idli, dosa & also you can serve as you wish***
- You can replace jaggery with sugar or if you want to you can totally remove them from recipe.
- I used non-stick pan to fry dal's & used very little of oil.
- Store powder in a air tight container & refrigerate it.
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.