These are the mini version of famous andhra sweet " Madatha Kaja".
My mom & myself use to make this for festivals. Iuse to help her in rolling the dough and cutting kaja's too.I use to love helping her.
Infact we were experimenting on making " Kakinada Kaja or Gottam Kaja ". I failed making them so thought utilizing the dough for this dish :)
1/2 Cup Maida
Pinch of Baking soda
1 Tbs Ghee
1/2 cup Curd ( Varies while mixing the dough)
Oil to fry
1 Tbs Elachi Powder
3 Tbs of Rice flour
3 Tbs of Ghee for rolling the kaja's
For Sugar Syrup
1 cup Sugar
1. Mix all the Kaja ingredients except the rice flour and 3 tbs of Ghee. I used curd to mix the flour but not water. If the dough becomes sticky just sprinkle little maida and make a soft dough.
2. Allow the dough to stay for 2 hrs in a bowel covered with wet cloth.
3. Now take a bowel and add suger to it. Then add little water till the sugar is covered.
4. Boil the sugar syrup to string consistency and add elachi to it.
5. Now the dough and make 3 equal balls ( the 1/2 cup maida makes 3 balls ).
6. Now spread the dough like a mat and apply 1 tbs of Ghee and sprinkle some rice flour on the dough like shown in the image.
7.Now roll them as shown in the figure and cut them in to small pieces.
8. Deep fry them in the oil till they turn brown. Now add them to the sugar syrup. Leave it for 15 mins aside.
9. You can store them in a container for more than a week.